Saturday, January 30, 2010

the cake

Every year I ask Edwin what kind of cake he wants. His mom always made him strawberry cake with chocolate icing, but I usually make a different kind each year. I've done ice cream pie two years in a row (with different flavors both times), blueberry pound cake, and now carrot cake.

I used to not like carrot cake.

Check that. I used to like carrot cake, but only part of it. I used to only eat the cream cheese icing off the outside of the cake.

I eat all of it now. There are actually a lot of things I wouldn't eat when I was little. I was the pickiest eater in the world until I was about 17. My family was so proud when I started eating foods other than ones that are white or yellow.

But back to the cake.

This is my Aunt Jeanne's recipe, and everyone on the Mize side loves this cake. I actually have two copies of the recipe, it's that good. For my bridal shower, my friend Charlotte had everyone submit a recipe and she compiled them for me. My aunt sent this one, and then my cousin Kristin shared it as well, citing Aunt Jeanne in the note at the top.

Here it is:

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 LB bag grated carrots

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil, eggs, and carrots.

Pour into 2 greased round 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 30-40 minutes.

Let cool. Spread with cream cheese icing when cool.

And here's the cake!



I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment