Saturday, January 30, 2010

Happy Birthday, EDW!

EDW is not my husband's monogram. When we were in grad school, the library students played on an intramural team called the Dewey Decimators. My friend Lindsey and I were the cheerleaders, and Edwin's cheer was just a chant spelling his name. E-D-W-I-N! There were some arm movements involved. Anyway, I like abreves (abbreviations) and EDW just stuck.

So happy birthday, EDW!

For his birthday meal, Edwin requested pulled pork (that's barbeque if you're from NC) and fixins for dinner and carrot cake for dessert. Here's the barbeque recipe I used: crockpot carolina barbeque.

I found it on the internet. I wish I could say I used an advanced librarian way to search for it, but I googled it. I've made crockpot barbeque before, but not with this recipe. I followed it almost exactly, except I don't have smoked paprika so I used regular.

My in-laws and grandparents-in-law were supposed to join us this weekend, but the snow forced them to cancel their trip. I went ahead and made the big meal, because it's still a celebration. Of Edwin! (Throughout our engagement, I proclaimed at regular intervals: "We're getting married! To each other!" And then at my bachelorette party, I kept declaring this: "I'm getting married! To Edwin!")

Luckily our friends Carla and Claude were available so they came over to celebrate. Here they are:
So. The menu:

Crockpot Barbeque.
We like Maurice's sauce for our barbeque. It's yellow and delicious and comes from Columbia, SC. I haven't actually been to a Maurice's, but my sister says it is sketchy and amazingly delicious. I buy the sauce at our Ingle's grocery store.
Slaw.
For the slaw I use the prepackaged broccoli slaw vegetables in a bag from the refrigerated section and Marzetti dressing.

I have made Sara Foster's slaw dressing before and it is great, but I was already making a lot of other things from scratch. Slaw isn't a big deal to me so I don't care if it's from scratch.

Sara Foster's Black-eyed Pea Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese.***
Oh, this is good. This is very, very good. Unless your name is Emmel and you hate gourds.

Sara Foster recommends serving it with something simple like grilled chicken, but I love love love it with barbeque. It makes the whole meal seem fancier (so does serving it on your wedding china).

Lima beans.
Because it's not a meal unless there is something green involved.


I hope you like it. I made it.

***Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese." p 81

No comments:

Post a Comment