Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pudding.

Let's make pudding!

I found this recipe over at Real Simple the other day and thought I'd try it out. Since I'm abandoning my husband for Valentine's Weekend (I'll be back for dinner Sunday night) I thought I'd make it this weekend for a treat.

I bring you: pudding. Fancy pudding. Chocolate-Cinnamon Pudding with Raspberries!

I was a little nervous about the saran wrap layer. There was talk of a skin forming if I let air on it too long, and I'm pretty sure the skin would seriously gross me out. I hate skin forming on anything I'm going to eat, and I don't even really like skin that's naturally occurring (chicken skin, that is). But I went with it anyway.

Edwin helped with the layer of saran wrap: as I ladled the warm, delicious pudding into ramekins, Edwin did the plastic covering. I would love this warm (and I definitely sampled some) but I made it ahead of time and chilled it for later.

We had this for dessert after I made chicken and vegetable pot pie tetrazzini. I took this recipe, also from real simple and one I make often, and made it into a tetrazzini.

(I'm not actually sure what tetrazzini is, except when I make Betty Crocker's version it involves chicken and pasta and baking.)

Instead of putting the pie crust on top, which is oh so delicious, I mixed in a box of whole wheat pasta and baked it at 350 for 30 minutes, uncovered. The pot pie filling isn't bad for you-- no butter, no cream-- and leaving out the pillsbury, I'm assuming, greatly reduces the fat.

Here it is:
Pretty tasty, if I say so myself. Not quite as tasty as it would have been with the pie crust on top, but we were saving calories for the grand finale.
And the pudding? It was excellent.
Rich and creamy and not too sweet. It was special. Most things served in ramekins are special, if you ask me.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment