Sunday, February 28, 2010

Some favorites

When I uploaded my photos of last week's recipes, I found this one of our cat Atticus. Edwin took it, I think, when he was documenting our TV saga for his blog. Atticus is definitely a favorite around here:
I made a couple of our favorite dinners last week. I'm sure you'll be surprised when I tell you they're Sara Foster recipes.

On Monday, I made what Edwin calls Fancy Mac and Cheese. Technically, it's Creamy Mac, Chicken, and Cheese* from Fresh Every Day. It has spinach in it and is truly my favorite version of mac and cheese. The recipe calls for a combination of heavy cream and milk, but I used all milk to decrease the fat. There's really nothing that isn't good about this recipe, and if you only made one Sara Foster recipe ever, this should be the one. I halved it last week, but it makes a ton and is great for company.

See how creamy it is on the bottom and crispy it is on top? That's my favorite thing about macaroni and cheese.

I also made Edwin's favorite salad, from Sara Foster's Casual Cooking: More Fresh, Simple Recipes from Foster's Market. It' s Tomato, Cucumber, and Feta Cheese Salad with Fresh Basil.** It's basically a greek salad (without lettuce or greens) with jalepeƱo and fresh basil. The pepper and basil give it a more complex flavor that we love. I usually serve it with toasted pitas, and we stuff the salad into the bread to make a whole meal out of it, but last week I had some mystery grains on hand and used them.

Have you ever had Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend? It is fantastic! I don't remember buying the bag, nor do I remember it being given as a gift, but I am so glad it was in my cooking drawer. The bag says it's a "savory blend of Israeli style couscous, orzo, baby garbanzo beans, and red quinoa." If you live near a Trader Joe's, go buy this. It is seriously amazing, and I plan on buying a case when I get to a TJ next.

I just followed the directions on the bag and served the salad on top, and Edwin and I both devoured it.

I hope you like it. I made it.



*Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Creamy Mac, Chicken, and Cheese." p. 229

**Foster, Sara.
Sara Foster's Casual Cooking: More Fresh, Simple Recipes from Foster's Market. "Tomato, Cucumber, and Feta Cheese Salad with Fresh Basil." p. 41.

No comments:

Post a Comment