Saturday, March 27, 2010

Best Ever...again

This week I tried two more best ever recipes. We threw my boss a little surprise housewarming shower on Thursday (she just bought her first home and we wanted a party). I volunteered to bring cake.

I have looked at this Pioneer Woman recipe about 20 times and always told myself I would make it. Ree calls it The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever. Even though the icing Ree uses looks amazing, I wanted to try another best recipe from Tasty Kitchen and missydew, That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had. I was intrigued by the icing (I almost always call it icing, not frosting. What about you?), as it contains flour and granulated (not powdered) sugar.

The chocolate cake is easy to make. You don't have to grease the pan and it doesn't take long to assemble. I don't ever have buttermilk, so I did the milk-vinegar trick. Do you know this trick? You can do it with vinegar or lemon juice. Fill the measuring cup almost to the top of what you need with regular milk. Pour vinegar or lemon juice in until it reaches the line. Stir and let it sit for a minute, and voila! Buttermilk.

After I dumped the batter into my pan (I don't have a sheet cake pan so I just used a regular lasagna size one) I licked the bowl clean. Normally I have pretty good self restraint when it comes to bowl licking, and I only take a couple obligatory licks. Not this time. That batter was perfect! I must have spent several minutes on it, searching for one last dollop of batter.

My cake took closer to 30 minutes to cook (instead of the 20 it says in the recipe) since it was thicker. You can see where I used my knife (still no cake tester) to check a few times. I let the cake cool overnight.
Thursday morning, I got up a little early to make the icing. I wanted it to be nice and fresh. The icing was easy, too. I made the flour/milk mixture on the stove, and went about my morning toilette while it cooled. Then I creamed the softened butter and sugar, and combined it all. It really did look like fresh whipped cream once I finished.

Since it was 6:45, I wasn't sure I'd like it when I tasted it. But then I remembered who I am, and I wasn't surprised in the least when I wanted to lick this bowl clean. The icing is fantastic! It has the texture of fresh whipped cream (one of my all time favorite foods) but the flavor of butter cream icing. It isn't as sweet at butter cream, though, and I was instantly obsessed.
I had to wait until we had it at work to determine if the cake was, indeed, the best I've ever had, but my mind was already made up about the icing.

Final verdicts:

Any time a recipe says it's the best ever, I want to make it immediately. Sometimes I'm disappointed (Alice's cookies) but sometimes I'm beyond thrilled (this icing). Sometimes I'm just very pleased (PW's lasagna).

The cake was delicious. It's moist and flavorful, but not too chocolatey. Edwin had leftovers on Friday, and that was his main critique. He says it's a delicious cake, but in order for him to deem it the best ever, it would need more chocolate. I agree. To truly be objective, I need to make this cake again with the icing Ree uses, which would definitely up the chocolate ante.

Despite its not-overly-chocolateness, this is a great cake. It is my new go-to recipe for sheet cakes and cupcakes (Ree says it makes good cupcakes too). I bet I could, if I were using this white icing, make it in round cake pans and layer them. Then it would look fancier.

So while not the best ever cake, it is really really really good.

But the icing?

Without a doubt that's the best frosting I've ever had.

I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. You sold me on it. Now I just need an excuse to make it.

    ReplyDelete