Monday, March 15, 2010

inedible (but fun!)

So this isn't something you can eat, but I did make it on my kitchen island. I bring you: the well-read book wreath!I've seen several of these on different blogs lately, and I wanted to try my hand at a book wreath. To make it, I used three paperbacks and a wire coat hanger. I got the books at my library from the discarded book pile. I chose them based on their size and page color.

I used: High Profits from Rare Coin Investment, Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey, and The War with Cape Horn.

To make the wreath, start by molding a wire hanger into a roundish shape. It doesn't have to be perfect-- mine had kinks in it and worked just fine. Tear out the pages of whatever book(s) you're using. Try not to take as much pleasure as I did (I felt like such a rebel!). Fold the pages and push them onto one end of the wire hanger. Repeat until full; jerry rig the ends together (I used pliers and twine) and hang.

Mine is hung on a nail that was already in our stone fireplace. I would like it to hang a little lower (I will just use a longer piece of twine), but Edwin nearly broke his neck trying to hang it in the first place, so I'll give him a rest for now.

I took this picture from the middle of our stairs. You can see the edge of the loft-- our dining corner is under that part you see and the kitchen is next to it, also under the loft. I am great at directions. The space above the mantle could definitely handle a larger wreath, which I may make in the future.

Seriously, ripping pages out of books is too fun.

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment