Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lay WhoSay?

I love my Le Creuset. It's my favorite pot. I bought it at Home Goods last fall for quite a deal, and even though the check out lady judged me ("$120 for a pot? What's it do, cook itself?") I have nothing but fond memories of my red dutch oven.

What I don't love? Math. Math in recipes. Measurement units. When a recipe says to put things into an 8 quart dutch oven, how am I supposed to know that's not what my Le Creuset is?

It isn't, by the way. I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5.5-6.5 quart category.
Generally, when a recipe says to use an 8 quart pot, it's because you're going to be making a lot of something and need a lot of room.

It's what happened last night with my Black Bean Chowder with Yogurt-Cilantro Relish. (The relish, by the way, is basically runny tzatziki with cilantro instead of mint)

I started the chowder and had to dump everything into my stockpot before I added the liquid, as it quickly became clear to me that my beloved creuset wasn't going to cut it.

The chowder? Delicious.

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment