Monday, March 8, 2010

Pink Grapefruit Yogurt Cake

I know what you're thinking. Pink grapefruit? In a cake?

Yes.

Absolutely yes.

Edwin went to his second bachelor weekend in a row this weekend (1st one in Bryson City; 2nd one in Austin). I wanted to make him a treat in honor of his homecoming on Sunday.

I also really really wanted to make this Pink Grapefruit Yogurt Cake, since I found the recipe on Friday at Two Peas and Their Pod, my latest obsession.

It's a slightly girly cake (would be perfect for any sort of shower), but Edwin likes pink drinks, so I figured it'd be okay.

And it was.

The combination of greek yogurt and grapefruit zest makes for a flavorful, tart, moist cake. There's not a ton of sugar in it, so don't be expecting anything super sweet.

What is sweet, however, are the syrup and glaze you pour over the cake after it bakes. Oh, yum. You can see the holes on the top of the cake, which I created with a fork to allow the syrup to soak in, and the dents from where I tested to see if it was ready (I really need a cake tester. Or toothpicks). Here it is after the syrup has been spooned on. You'll see that I left the bits of grapefruit in my syrup-- I've mentioned before that I'm lazy.
After it cooled to room temperature, I drizzled on the glaze.
Edwin came home to vegetable and turkey meatball soup (post coming soon!) and pink grapefruit cake, and I'm pretty sure he missed me.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. Pink drinks are delicious. I can tell you all from experience that the best-sounding drinks on any menu will almost always be pink or orange. Keep ordering your narsty bevs. I'll stick with being a pinko.

    ReplyDelete