Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spicy Garbanzo Bean Burritos with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce*

*Edwin loves when I announce recipes that have really big titles. One of his favorite titles is "Mediterranean Salad with Spiced Chickpea Patties." He liked this name, too. I think it has something to do with the with in it.

I have really been loving the Splendid Table's weekly newsletter. Last week's recipe was Spicy Garbanzo Bean Burritos with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce. Unfortunately, I can't give you the link for it. Try as I might, I haven't been able to use my librarian skills to find archived newsletters on the Splendid Table's web site. I just couldn't find them. If you want this recipe, email me and I'll send it to you from my gmail. Or, if you find the link, send it to me and I'll put it up!

To make this easy dish, you saute onion, red pepper, and garlic until soft. Then you add a mixture of paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, and ground coriander seeds-- follow this with your garbanzo beans and cook for about 5 minutes. The mixture turns this really pretty reddish gold color and smells amazing. Stir in fresh cilantro and spoon onto tortillas. I used whole wheat tortillas and added spinach to get all my food groups in. Top that off with the cucumber yogurt sauce and roll into burrito. The sauce is just greek yogurt, cucumber, and paprika-- it looks like pink tatziki.
YUM. Edwin and I loved this meal. It had flavors from middle eastern and mexican cuisine, which we adored. It's not too spicy, either, and really was delicious and full of flavor. We'll definitely be having this often.

Thanks, Splendid Table, preesh.
I hope you like it. I made it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I like garbanzo beans, but this looks pretty delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like hummus you like garbanzo beans :) They are chickpeas by another name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/72922

    ReplyDelete