Friday, April 2, 2010

fiesta! fancy chicken tacos fiesta!

I am pleased to announce that I have modified someone else's recipe and made it my own! I am pumped about this, since this time a year ago, I couldn't really cook anything at all without a recipe. I give you little fancy chicken tacos.

I started with this Real Simple recipe for vegetarian tacos. It was the idea of goat cheese and spinach with tacos that really caught my eye.

Here's my recipe:

2 chicken breasts (washed and patted dry with paper towels), cut into bit sized pieces
1-2 T olive oil
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
handful of fresh spinach
1 1/2 t chili powder
3/4 t cumin
1/2 t paprika
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
crumbled goat cheese
whole wheat flour tortillas, warmed

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium. Add chicken and cook, 4-5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Add corn and cook over medium until corn is warmed, chicken is fully cooked, and husband is home (I ended up turning it to low after it was ready).

In a warmed tortilla, first put a good amount of spinach and follow with the chicken and corn mixture. Sprinkle with goat cheese. Enjoy!

I know it's really similar to the Real Simple recipe, but I did add cumin and paprika (which is how I do regular taco seasoning) and I didn't heat the spinach. I think it would be good with slightly wilted greens, but I knew we'd have some for leftovers and I don't like soggy spinach (which it always is to me after being reheated). They had plenty of flavor and didn't need any salsa. The goat cheese was a really nice contrast to the sweet corn and savory chicken.

I served the tacos with this black bean, avocado, and mango salad with cilantro and lime salad and it was a flavorful, balanced meal. I forgot to add the tomato to the salad but it was perfectly delicious.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment