Sunday, April 25, 2010

in which I remind Edwin to miss me while I'm in Chicago by preparing a delicious meal

For dinner Friday I made the following:

Blackened Salmon Sandwiches*
Sweet Crash Hot Potatoes (PW's crash hot potatoes made with, you're never going to guess, sweet potatoes)
Carla Salad

For the sandwiches, I combined cumin, fennel seed, oregano, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to make a spice rub. I coated the salmon fillets with the spice blend and cooked them until well browned in a skillet. Then I flaked the salmon into chunks.
I made a spread with horseradish, plain greek yogurt, honey, salt and pepper. I used Arnold's Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins (instead of Martha's prescribed crusty bread, which I never have) because I love them, and each sandwich got a smear of the horseradish mixture, salmon, arugula and red onion. (I'm thinking I would leave the red onion off next time-- there's plenty of flavor without. Edwin liked it as it was)My friend Carla brought this salad to our house one night and I love it. It is spinach, avocado, red onion, apple, candied pecans, carrots, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing. It's a sweeter salad, and I thought it would balance out the blackened salmon. I was right!

The sweet crash hot potatoes were...pretty good. They didn't get crispy on top because I did a bad job with the timing. I'm thinking they would have crisped up had I given them an extra 10 or 15 minutes. Regardless, they were yummy. I really prefer my sweet potatoes to be savory, so I loved the roasted flavor of these.

All in all, the meal was well rounded with lots of different flavors and textures, and EDW will definitely miss me. Make this healthy meal soon to remind someone how fab you are.I hope you like it. I made it.

*Stewart, Martha. The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics. "Blackened Salmon Sandwiches." p. 197

No comments:

Post a Comment