Monday, April 12, 2010

post processing

I have a Cuisinart Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor that I love. It's a special gadget that makes me feel fancy. When my in-laws gave it to me for Christmas I squealed with joy-- absolute joy.

I set out to make hummus yesterday. I was initially planning on making pesto too, but with the price of basil and pine nuts I decided against it. (I really need to grow some herbs, but I failed miserably when I tried last year.)

So I got everything ready: chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic all went into the work bowl. I put the cover on, but when I tried to snap the last bit in place, it stuck. I tried again. I watched the DVD the processor came with to see if I was missing something. I tried again. This time I heard a snap, and a small piece of white plastic went flying. I nearly cried.

I called the 800 number and spoke to a nice(ish) man named Danny, and he walked me through the troubleshooting. He determined I need a new part, which they'll send to me for free, as it's still under warranty.

So no crying, but no hummus either. Instead of giving up there, I tried to make the hummus in my blender. That just made a mess. The chickpeas were too thick and there wasn't enough liquid in the blender to make it work.

I ended up dumping all the ingredients in a large bag and ate some of it later for a snack. It was like lumpy salsa, with chickpeas instead of tomatoes. It tasted like hummus and really wasn't all bad. So if you don't have a food processor, you can make hummus salsa like me.

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment