Thursday, April 1, 2010

turkey burgers, (sort of) spicy slaw, and baked sweet potato fries

It's finally starting to look like spring here, and to me, that means it's time to open the windows and grill. (Of course, we have to close the windows at night, since there's usually a 30-40 degree temperature change between night and day)

I LOVE hamburgers. LOVE them. My father in law and I once bonded over our mutual love and admiration for the grilled hamburger. I think I would choose a good burger as my last meal. There's just something so satisfying about a perfectly grilled burger.

Since EDW and I try to eat healthy most of the time, I have taken to making turkey burgers. They aren't just any turkey burgers though-- they're Sara Foster turkey burgers and they are out of this world. On Sunday, I made us a feast of Grilled Turkey Burgers*, (sort of) Spicy Cole Slaw**, and Baked Sweet Potato Fries.

Sara Foster writes, in Casual Cooking, about ground turkey and its tendency to be flavorless, and she explains that in order to make the burgers fantastic, you have to add other things to increase flavor and texture. These burgers are a combination of ground turkey, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, green onions, bread crumbs, fresh chives, fresh basil and a little mayo. I mix my ingredients, form the patties, cover the plate and put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes. They tend to be pretty moist, and I have learned that chilling them makes them more solid for transferral to the grill. (I pop lots of things in the fridge or freezer to make them easier to handle: meatballs, turkey burgers, mozzarella cheese to the freezer before I want to slice it...)

The burgers go on the grill (we use charcoal-- not the ready light kind with gas on it-- and Edwin does the grilling) for about 12 minutes.

I have made Sara Foster's Spicy Cole Slaw before, and it's yummy. You use a mix of arugula, cabbage, and basil, and toss it with homemade spicy slaw dressing. I forgot to get cabbage at the store this weekend, so I just used more arugula. It was awesome.

I also made sweet potato "fries," which were delicious but not crispy. They were more like individual roasted sweet potato sticks, but still really good.

To serve, put it all on a plate and enjoy. We used whole wheat burger buns, and I left off the sweet pickles Sara Foster calls for because I hate sweet pickles. I ended up putting a good amount of the greens on top of my burger, but I didn't take a picture of that. What's on my burger is fresh tomato and stone ground mustard.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Foster, Sara. Sara Foster's Casual Cooking: More Fresh, Simple Recipes from Foster's Market.
"Grilled Turkey Burgers with Sweet Pickles." p. 68

**Foster, Sara. Sara Foster's Casual Cooking: More Fresh, Simple Recipes from Foster's Market. "Spicy Cole Slaw" p. 212

1 comment:

  1. I love making turkey burgers! I may have to try using some of these ingredients next time. I like to mix with oats, an egg or two, chopped spinach, fresh basil, cayenne, a bit of chopped bell peppers, a little onion, feta cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and whatever else sounds good at the time.

    ReplyDelete