Saturday, April 3, 2010

white and coconutty= Easter

I had fond memories of this Italian Cream Cake (I leave out the cherries but follow everything else closely). I made it last year for Wanda's birthday and it was a hit. I don't remember how exactly I found it, but find it I did. I was originally turned off by it because the recipe calls for shortening, and Crisco grosses me out. To the max. Does anyone know a substitute? Surely I could just use more butter. I hate shortening. Sometimes I just suck it up and use a recipe with it, like this one, but I don't like it. At all.

Edwin and I are going to be in Brevard for part of the weekend, and I wanted to bring a sweet treat. We'll be seeing Edwin's parents, sister, and grandparents, and I thought I'd make Italian Cream Cake. Mama (EDW's grandmother) once mentioned to me that she likes it a lot. Plus, it's white and coconutty, which makes it perfect for Easter. Right?

So, I haven't made this cake since July. I had forgotten something: this cake is work! Maybe it's like childbirth and I blocked out the pain? It's not hard,really, but it's very time consuming. Also bowl consuming. I am normally pretty neat in the kitchen and I clean as I go, but I ended up using a ridiculous amount of bowls for this. See?
That was before I'd done the icing. That's just from making the cake. It's probably because I used Crisco.

Okay.

It's a lot of bowls because there are a lot of separate things happening: you have to add the buttermilk and dry ingredients alternately, which means you can't mix all the dry ingredients first. Then there's the meringue-ing (beating egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff is making meringue, yes?), and folding into the batter...
But the cake looks perfect! See?
I really think having fresh baking soda helped the layers rise evenly. And I just know that keeping it in an airtight container has made my kitchen much fancier.


Despite my complaining, I love this cake. It's definitely worth it, but you should only make it if you have the time and energy. And if cooking with Crisco doesn't bother you. And if you have people to share it with, since it's not exactly good for you.


I hope you like it. I made it.

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing, I want.

    Also, I'm going to be in Brevard today, too! Crazy. I'll be on the lookout for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attest that this cake was magnificent!

    ReplyDelete