Monday, May 24, 2010

black bean burgers!

I have been eyeing a veggie burger recipe for a while now (I found it in a magazine last year), and I wanted to make it last night. When I went to the store, however, I couldn't find canned lentils. The original recipe called for a can of lentils, but I got black beans instead. I was questioning my commitment to the veggie burgers with the original recipe, so I googled black bean burgers and found this one from Sandra Lee.

It was really easy to assemble, and I chilled my burgers for about an hour before they went on the grill. I've found that with non-beef burgers, it really helps to stick them in the fridge to firm up a bit before cooking, and I'm glad I did it with these. I didn't reserve part of the black bean mixture, either; I just made an extra 2 patties and froze them for another time.

I served the burgers with roasted sweet potatoes with agave nectar and rosemary, a side I made when my in-laws were here a couple weeks ago. I am obsessed with these sweet potatoes. They caramelize a little on the bottoms and are savory and sweet. I use dried rosemary and chop mine smaller than Maria, and they are out of this world delicious.The burgers were flavorful and satisfying, but mine completely fell apart. I ended up eating it with a fork and knife, which was fine, but Edwin's burger stayed in tact. I just heated up another for my lunch, and it stayed together, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

We melted cheddar cheese on top and put spinach, tomatoes, ketchup and spicy mustard on them. I loved these and will definitely repeat the meal.I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment