Thursday, May 6, 2010

cinco de mayo

Edwin and I had a little Cinco de Mayo party on Wednesday. We invited Carla and Claude and had a fiesta. I made beef tacos, corn and tomato salad, and mango salsa.

I used homemade taco seasoning, which I loved. It has a kick and isn't too salty, and I have plenty of it leftover for next time. There were toppings for the tacos as well. I have been making this corn and tomato salad forever-- it's one of the few things I could make even back in Durham, and we used to have it with our tacos from a box. To make, combine about half a bag of frozen corn, a pint of grape tomatoes, and a diced avocado. In a separate bowl, combine about 3 sliced green onions, 1/4 cup of lemon or lime juice, and a lot of fresh cilantro. Add the dressing to the corn and tomatoes and stir. Let sit for about an hour, so the corn can thaw and the flavors can blend, and salt and pepper to taste. I like it on its own or served over a bed of greens, which is what we did Wednesday.I made Martha's mango salsa and it was amazing. I used the recipe from my Martha Stewart cookbook, but there are about a billion versions of it online. Mine included a jalapeno, 2 mangoes, half a red onion, lime juice, a tomato, cilantro and salt and pepper.We had it with chips before the meal and then as a delicious side during dinner. I also broke out the salsa pig and offered some jarred salsa.

Carla and Claude made their famous margaritas, which were fantastic. I don't have that recipe, but it involves triple sec, tequila, frozen limeade and ice. Carla helped make it but didn't actually have a margarita-- she has a flan in the oven (due in October!).All in all, it was an easy and festive event.

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment