Sunday, May 23, 2010

ice cream pie

I made an ice cream pie for Claude's birthday. We already know he loves vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, but he likes mint chocolate chip ice cream as well, so I went with that. Here's what I did.

I used to make these pies for Edwin's birthday, but I had never tried it with homemade elements. I wanted to make the crust from scratch (well, almost scratch, since I used store bought cookies). I adapted another recipe to make my mint chocolate crust. Here's what I came up with, in blue:

For the crust:
1 sleeve Thin Mints
1 sleeve Oreos

2/3 stick butter, melted

Combine Thin Mints and Oreos in a food processor until the desired consistency has been reached. Mix the crumbs and melted butter in a bowl. Spread the crumb mixture into a pie pan and press into shape, including the sides. Chill at least one hour.After the crust had hardened, I filled it with softened ice cream. I used Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip. (I let it soften while I ate breakfast and made the homemade fudge sauce.)I popped the pie back in the freezer while I finished the sauce, and then I spread a thick layer of sauce on top of the ice cream. I probably should have let the ice cream firm up a bit more or let the sauce cool, but I didn't feel like waiting. The top of my pie was, as a result, very runny.I topped everything with extra crumbs from the pie crust and called it a day. I let it freeze for about 8 hours before serving.We had the pie after dinner, and I have to say this is the best ice cream pie I have ever made. Using a homemade crust really made it special, and the layer of fudge sauce was exceptional. Edwin said his favorite part of the pie was where the fudge met the top layer of cookie crumbs, and I wholeheartedly agree.Carla and Claude thought it was pretty good, too.I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. It's almost a crime to see the tub of Oreos and Thin Mints obliterated...that is until you taste the dust! Oh, delicious dust...

    P.S. Claude has his standard "crazy eyes" for food in his picture. A person's eyes probably shouldn't simultaneously rotate in opposite directions, but his do.

    ReplyDelete