Saturday, May 8, 2010

pasta fail

Our library gets A Taste of Home magazine, and I usually browse through and make copies of things that look appealing. I found a recipe a while ago for Mediterranean Chicken Pasta and I brought it home. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the Taste of Home website-- but you won't want it. I thought it was a major fail.I made it for dinner Tuesday night, my mom's last night of her visit. Sautee onion, then add flour and chicken broth, and heat until it's thickened. So far so good. Then add cooked chicken (the recipe called for deli chicken, but I just boiled some chicken breasts and cubed them), artichoke hearts, black olives and sundried tomatoes. Toss that with pasta (I used whole wheat) and feta, and put under the broiler for about 5 minutes.

Sounds like it would be great, right?

Wrong. I was so unimpressed with this dish. Mom and EDW said it was good, and Edwin's been eating the leftovers all week, but I think they were just being nice. It didn't have enough Mediterranean flavor to me to merit its title, and there was something about it that reminded me of a Cream Of soup. If there's one thing I will NEVER like, mark my words, it's dishes made with Cream Of soups. Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of anything. Vom. Don't mess up green beans or other vegetables by adding it. Don't make chicken pot pie with it. Don't use it. Don't.

Don't make this pasta.DO use extra artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes for a Mother's Day fritatta, like me. And maybe next time, just toss pasta, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, olives and feta with a little olive oil and call it a day.

I don't like it. I made it.

1 comment: