Thursday, May 20, 2010

splendid!

I was feeling unexcited about Wednesday's dinner prospect (pizzas on sandwich thins and salad) when my weekly Splendid Table recipe arrived in my in-box. Goodbye, using what I have to make boring dinner and hello, Warm Balsamic Bean Salad on Lettuces! (If you think you want to make this meal, go ahead and click the link to get to the newsletter now. As of next week, this recipe will be gone and you'll see the current weeknight kitchen meal.)

I already had spinach in my fridge so I just used that instead of mixed salad greens. It was just as easy to make as Lynne said it would be, and the onions, rosemary, and garlic made my kitchen smell amazing. I used pinto beans, as I couldn't find cannellini beans this afternoon.I was surprised by how much I liked the sliced celery on the greens-- I'm normally not a celery in salad kinda girl, but it made a nice crunch. I didn't have manchego (my favorite cheese) but I shaved some parmesan on top.
The beans melted the cheese a bit, which was pleasant, and this was tasty. It took me a minute to get used to the strong vinegar flavor in the dish, but after I got going it was a really hearty and flavorful meal. Edwin thinks it seems more like an appetizer salad, but I liked it as our main meal. It would be good, too, I think paired with fish or chicken. I also loved sopping up the leftover vinegar with our whole wheat sandwich thins, as recommended.

Overall, I was really satisfied with this recipe. It says it serves two to four, and we had lots for leftovers. We'll see how it reheats tonight. I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment