Friday, May 28, 2010

this weekend's cake

So, the family I married into likes racing. As in NASCAR racing. As in loud cars speeding around a track racing.

Every year, Edwin drives to Richmond to spend the Memorial Day weekend with his dad (Steve), his grandparents (Grandma and Grandpa), his uncle (Uncle Rick), and sometimes EDW's sister (Elin). They watch some race on Sunday. I don't know what race it is, but it's a big one. And they watch. They call it Race Weekend. The librarian, architect, dentist, octogenarians and future crop scientist watch.

I'm going to Race Weekend this year.

I'm a little nervous, as I am not interested in racing at all (and I not so secretly judge it). But EDW insists they don't watch races all weekend, and he promises that there will be good eats and lots of visiting with the fam. (Besides, I'm not actually going to be watching the big race on Sunday-- I'm going shopping with my friend Ashley, which will be delightful.)

I wanted to bring a cake along. I was going to do another carrot cake, because my FIL loves carrot cake, but then I decided on bringing Grandpa's favorite cake: plain white sheet cake with white icing. It's not so adventurous, but comforting and delicious anyway. It's technically a yellow cake, but I'm guessing it will be close enough to Grandpa's liking.

And really, who doesn't love a sheet cake made from sugar, milk, butter, eggs and vanilla?

Here's what it looked like Thursday night, as I prepared it.I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment: