Tuesday, May 4, 2010

welcome, mommers!

My mother is here visiting the Murph for a few days, and to celebrate her arrival I prepared a fancy dinner her first night. I made Sara Foster's pork chops* and roasted sweet potato salsa** and Alice Water's grapefruit and avocado salad***.The pork chops are simple: olive oil, salt, pepper, and marjoram. I couldn't find fresh so used dried, and it was just fine that way. We grilled them for a shorter amount of time because they weren't as thick as the ones Sara calls for. Delish.

Sara Foster sometimes makes comments about her recipes or gives good ideas for sides-- the sweet potatoes were her idea, and they are awesome. They're a side and a topping all in one. I guess it's a salsa because the potatoes, tomato, green onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and cilantro are all chopped pretty small and tossed with a little lime juice and zest? I loved this. I absolutely loved the roasted flavor of the potatoes, which were lightly coated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chili powder and cumin. I will definitely make this sweet potato dish often.

And the salad. Oh, Alice Waters, thank you for giving us such a simple and surprising salad. It's just ruby red grapefruit, lightly salted avocado and arugula, all tossed with a dressing made of fresh grapefruit juice, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and salt and pepper. My in-laws are coming Friday, and I'm already planning on making this salad again. It's just fantastic.

This meal was pretty to look at and was super fresh and flavorful. A winner to welcome my mommers. I hope you like it. I made it.

*Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Simple Succulent Grilled Pork Chops." p. 166
**Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Roasted Sweet Potato Salsa." p. 198
***Waters, Alice. The Art of Simple Food. "Grapefuit and Avocado Salad." p. 240

No comments:

Post a Comment