Sunday, June 6, 2010

another poorly titled recipe

Speaking of unexciting recipe titles, I made these Martha Stewart muffins Sunday morning. Get this-- Martha, domestic goddess and chef extraordinaire, named them Health Muffins*.

Seriously. Health Muffins. Worst. Recipe. Name. Ever.

I made them anyway, because I'm trying to get good at muffins and they had dried figs in them, and I love figs.

I was doing a really good job making them, I thought. I sifted all my dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, wheat bran, flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt) and then added the rest, as directed in the recipe (finely grated carrots, sliced dried figs, eggs, applesauce, vanilla) and folded very carefully. I spooned the batter into the muffin tins (and the mini-loaf pan-- I don't have jumbo muffin tins like Martha so I had extra batter), thinking how thick it all seemed and wondering if they would taste too healthy. I licked the spoon (batter licking is one of my favorite past times) and was repulsed-- they weren't sweet at all! Then I checked the recipe.

I forgot the honey. The 2/3 cup honey to make the health muffins sweet. I swore, and dumped all the batter back in the bowl. I tried to be careful as I folded in the honey, but honestly, we all know how the muffins turned out.

Overmixed. Flat.But delicious!

I LOVE these health muffins! I'm thinking they need a new name, though. Whole wheat fig muffins? Or maybe, honey wheat fig muffins? If I put honey in the title, maybe I'll remember to add it?I hope you like it. I made it.

*Stewart, Martha. The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics. "Health Muffins." p. 560

No comments:

Post a Comment