Wednesday, June 2, 2010

fancy pasta

On Sunday, while EDW and his family watched the races, I had a day with my friend Ashley and her/my new friend Melissa. It was fantastic-- we went to the outlets at Williamsburg (hello 40% off at J.Crew) and then to the Cheese Shop, one of my favorite sandwich places (okay I've been twice, but you only have to go once to know it's an automatic favorite). After ordering (smoked turkey on whole wheat with Edam cheese, house dressing and watercress), I was browsing their gourmet grocery section and saw this pasta. It looked amazing and I was intrigued, so I bought it.

It is made from durum wheat. I had to look up durum wheat, so don't feel bad if you don't know what it is either. It is the hardest kind of wheat, and it's really good for you. I also had to look up spinat, because that's what makes up 2% of the pasta. Apparently spinat is German for spinach. Why my pasta from Italy says that the ingredients, in English, are durum wheat and spinat I'll never know. Unless spinat is something else and I'm just confused.

Either way, I bought this green pasta and we had it for dinner on Tuesday. (I took the photos of the pasta outside on our deck, since natural light is best and sometimes my food photes look completely unappetizing.) (Also when I just typed photes I did it on purpose. Sometimes it's nice to abreve an abreve.)I cooked the foglie d'ulivo (you so wish you could hear me pronounce this) 15 minutes in salted boiling water, according to the package's directions, and tossed it with storebought basil pesto, which was also the package's suggestion. I added some roasted tomatoes, too, just to bring another color to the dish. I have no problem with green foods, but it's nice to add color sometimes.Okay this pasta? Best pasta ever. It definitely tastes like it's finer quality, and there's this buttery richness to it that I just don't taste in the wheat pasta I buy from Ingles. Edwin and I loved it. I wish I lived near a gourmet grocery/sandwich shop so I could buy this all the time. And that I could afford to pay $9.50 for a pound of pasta all the time.

I hope you like it. I made it.

3 comments:

  1. Poppies does not carry this stuff. There are a few online places to buy it for about $10-$11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo so jealous!!! looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May we please get an audio file of you pronouncing the pasta's name?

    ReplyDelete