Thursday, June 10, 2010

frittata, part 3

I made this broccoli cheese frittata* for dinner last night. It's another Martha Stewart recipe-- I know it's been a lot of Martha this week but my cookbook is a lot of wonderful.

This was much more time consuming than I had anticipated. It was also more wonky than I expected. You cook the broccoli, then remove it from the pan and let it cool. You wipe the pan out, then spray it with cooking spray. You beat your eggs like crazy, then add the broccoli to that bowl. Then you add everything to the heated pan and continue.
After beating the egg mixture for 8 minutes until it was "extremely foamy", I added in my broccoli and onion mixture. It looked crazy. Then I added it to my pan and it looked terrible. I was really thinking I'd misread the recipe, so while I let it cook on the stove for 2 minutes without stirring, I reread the recipe. I did everything right (except let the broccoli mixture cool completely before adding it to the eggs), so I figured I'd just keep going. See that foam? Looks busted, right?
As it baked, I had this horrible vision of cheerios for dinner. I scarfed down my salad (which I was going to serve with the frittata) out of nervousness (and starvation-- it was almost 8:30 by the time this thing was finished), while standing watch in front of the oven. I kept thinking about how I would have to take pictures of my ruined food and my pathetic bowl of cereal and confess all today on the blog.

The foam cooked down, and it mostly looked like a frittata after 30 minutes in the oven. When it came out, the foam had left this little brown ring around my pan. I was sure Edwin would have to scrub for an hour to get it off (house rule: you cook, you don't clean).
Imagine my surprise and delight when the first pieces came out easily!
It was fantastic! The broccoli was a little overcooked for my taste, but I like my vegetables to crunch. I would love to try this method with asparagus and feta next time. I loved it. Edwin loved it. There was no painful scrubbing involved.

Parmesan cheese. Check. Goat cheese. Check. Broccoli. Check. Delicious frittata. Check! Check!
I hope you like it. I made it.


*Stewart, Martha. The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics. "Broccoli Cheese Frittata." p. 596

No comments:

Post a Comment