Sunday, June 13, 2010

I heart Splendid Table

This week's Weeknight Kitchen recipes from The Splendid Table looked amazing, so I knew I had to try them right away: Flash Roasted Salmon and New Potato Salad.

I made the potato salad early in the day Saturday. I chose an Idaho medley for my small boiling potatoes, so I had small red and purple potatoes in my bowl, as well as couple fingerling potatoes. They are beautiful, but not so fun to peel once they've been boiled. After peeling and chopping, I soaked the taters in a cider vinegar, garlic, onion, sugar and salt and pepper mixture for 30 minutes. To that I added mayonnaise (I know, I know: another mayo recipe), stone ground mustard, olive oil and fresh dill. Then it all went in the fridge to chill until dinner.For the salmon, I preheated my oven and got the sauce ready by mixing frozen orange juice concentrate, olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. I was supposed to make four shallow parallel cuts in the salmon skin, but I failed. I tried using four different knives and never could get through the skin in a successful way, so I gave up and slathered the sauce on both sides of the fish.
It cooked for just 10 minutes (skin side up! what a revelation!) in the oven, and then I pulled it out to rest and finish cooking for an additional 15 minutes.

I served my fish with the potato salad and a green salad. Oh, yum!
This is so fancy. The salmon is crazy moist and flavorful, and I have to admit: I kindof love the potato salad, mayo and all. It has this really complex flavor, I think because of the soaking in vinegar, and it's really creamy (but not too creamy) and delicious. This whole meal was fast, easy, and amazing.

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment