Saturday, June 26, 2010

lemon angel food cupcakes

I've been craving a lemony dessert lately, and when I saw this recipe for lemon angel food cupcakes, I knew I'd found my Saturday afternoon treat.

I ran into a couple snags with this recipe. I don't have cake flour in my baking drawer, and I didn't feel like buying any for one recipe. I googled solutions, and it turns out you can make cake flour by either using 2 tablespoons less a cup of all purpose flour, or you can sift together 2 tablespoons of corn starch with a little less than a cup of flour, which is what I did (except I did 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup less 1 tablespoon). I hate math. I hate using language that involves math. Here's what I did to make 1/2 cup cake flour: I put 1 tablespoon of corn starch in my 1/2 cup measurer, then I spooned in all purpose flour to fill the measuring cup. I sifted that together.

I also didn't have superfine sugar, but I discovered you can make your own. I pulled out my favorite kitchen accessory (hello food processor) and processed my sugar for 15 seconds to create superfine. It was fun.

Superfine sugar really is somewhere in between regular granulated sugar and powdered sugar. I'm not sure you can see the difference in the phote.I was so excited about my homemade sugar I forgot to check the recipe, and I just dumped all of it in with my newly created cake flour. I was actually supposed to reserve 1/4 cup sugar to use in my egg whites, but it was too late.

I just followed the instructs and didn't add sugar while creating my soft peaks of egg whites.

When it came time to fill my cupcake tin (which you've no doubt become familiar with by now thanks to the muffin chronicles), I remembered that my liners are wonky. See? They are too big for my tin, which means my cupcakes will undoubtedly be oddly shaped.
They came out of the oven very fluffy and risen, and they smelled fantastic. (The batter also tasted fantastic-- I licked the bowl clean while the cupcakes baked).
Then they fell, and you could really see the odd shapes caused by my paper wrappers.
Maria didn't do the lemon glaze, but you know I did. I just mixed lemon juice and powdered sugar until it looked glazey and then drizzled it on the cupcakes, once they'd cooled.

EDW and I each had one after we woke up from our Saturday afternoon resters, and all I can say is yum. They are sticky and sweet and lemony and really tasty. Edwin thinks they don't seem like angel food, mostly because of the lemon flavoring, but we both love them. We ate the ugliest ones first, as is my habit. They tasted perfect.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. OMG. These look and sound delish! You know I love lemony dessert treats!

    ReplyDelete