Sunday, June 20, 2010

make you [non] banana pancakes

Edwin and I went to Cashiers this weekend with our friends Carla and Claude. Claude's parents have a vacation home their, so we loaded up Friday night for a little getaway.

I volunteered to make breakfast Saturday morning, and I decided to make whole wheat pancakes with strawberry compote. The recipe is actually for a strawberry rhubarb compote, but EDW's not crazy about rhubarb and it's not in season anyway. I followed the recipe pretty exactly, except I doubled the strawberries.

It didn't start off well. I was using the griddle we got for our wedding (thanks EB!). Every time I use the griddle, I think to myself, "don't mess up like last time and think you're heating it right but really just putting it on warm" and EVERY time I mess up anyway. I don't know why the dial confuses me, but I always think it's being heated to medium and I'm always wrong.

This is what happens when you put a pancake on a griddle that isn't hot enough.(And thanks, EDW, for being a photojournalist and documenting the process. And sorry, blog friends, for looking so unfancy. It was the morning and I was having a pancake crisis.)
Once I got the griddle heated properly, we were good to go. The pancakes started looking like pancakes and I stopped worrying about having to go out for breakfast at the last minute.
We put the pancakes in the oven to warm while I made the compote.
Oh, compote, I love you. It's amazing how sweet the topping was, considering it didn't have any added sugar (just a tablespoon of honey, lemon juice and lemon zest).

We had some bacon on the side, which looks gross in the photes, but it tasted good and bacony.
I loved this. The pancakes were fantastic and the compote really set them off. I wish our next visitor liked cooked fruit (hi Emmel!) because I would love to make this again soon.

And I did eat the mangled original pancake. It tasted just fine.I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment