Monday, June 21, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part IV

Sundays have become my muffin days, and yesterday I made whole wheat oatmeal muffins. I modified them quite a bit, so much so they aren't really even the same muffins you see if you follow the link.

Here's the list of my substitutions:

greek yogurt instead of buttermilk (didn't have it, never do, and I didn't feel like doing the lemon juice/vinegar trick)
unsweetened applesauce instead of oil (I like to feel superior knowing my muffins are good for me)
dried apricots instead of raisins (why have raisins when you can have apricots?)
dried figs instead of dates (figs? who doesn't love figs?!)
flaxseed instead of wheat germ (didn't have it, and they both seem odd and nutritious so I figured the substitution would be fine)
-- and I had enough batter for 12 muffins and a mini loaf (I guess if I had filled the muffin tins more I may have had a better looking product, but I like my muffins on the small side)

Other than that, I followed the method closely.
And what did I get?

Muffins! Delicious whole wheat oatmeal muffins! They even look more like muffins, see?
See the top? I'm really proud of that top. I know it's not a real muffin top, but I am definitely improving.
Edwin and I each had some of the mini loaf for an afternoon snack, and we loved them. They are EDW's new 2nd favorite (branana is still going strong) and I just can't decide on muffin medals. They're not super sweet-- more like a tasty homemade bread with fruit-- but they are very satisfying. They're so good I would share them with a friend.

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment