Friday, July 2, 2010

applesauce granola

My bff Emmel is coming to town this weekend to celebrate the 4th of July and my birthday (It's Tuesday. 27, here I come!) She has come each year since we've been in Cherokee County, and the weekend always involves lots of food and wine. Also lots of saying holla. We just can't let the word go. Color me excited.

I took today off to have a 4 day weekend, and I made this applesauce granola first thing Friday morning. I used wheat bran instead of oat bran, and I didn't have quinoa or sesame seeds so I upped the sunflower seeds to 1/2 cup and hoped for the best. I also added 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, since I loved it so much in my last batch of granola.

I was concerned about this not being crispy. I only used 1 baking sheet, because it seemed like it all fit on my one gross looking sheet. If I had spread it more thinly, would my granola have been more crunchy? Every time I took it out to stir I took a taste, and though it was delicious, it just wasn't getting cruchy. I cooked it 50 minutes instead of 40 and then pulled it out to cool, hoping Megan was right about it crisping as it cooled.

It never did get crispy, so I popped it back in the oven. I had to wait for my chicken to finish baking, because I'm making barbeque chiken pizza for dinner tonight. So I let the granola cool until not crisp, then I stuck it in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes.

That did the trick and I had crispy granola.
This is good, but I think I prefer everyday granola over it. There's just not much to this one, but I know it will be delicious with my morning fruit and yogurt.I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment