Friday, July 16, 2010

mexican stuffed peppers

When I was in elementary school, my sister Susanna and I shared a friend. Su and I each had our own friends and didn't overlap much, but we were both friends with Sally and that made her special. Her dad was on a macrobiotic diet and her brother William loved to play with Barbies (with us, or by himself).

One Saturday I was spending the night with Sally, and her mom made stuffed peppers for dinner. I was horrified, being the child-who-didn't-eat-things-that-weren't-white-or-yellow that I was, and probably a little annoyed that there wasn't pizza available to me for the sleepover. I'm sure Sally's mom made me a peanut butter sandwich, but all I remember from that night is sitting in front of a stuffed pepper and trying to keep a polite face.

I eat vegetables now. Lots of them. And this recipe for Mexican Stuffed Peppers* sounded delicious to me. We had corn and tomatoes from other people's gardens, so I was all set.

Sautee onion and garlic and then add chopped tomatoes, spices and fresh parsley. I don't see why you couldn't use cilantro instead. Then mix in fresh corn and black beans and let it all simmer together for a while. After that mixture has made your kitchen smell like heaven, you stuff your peppers.
Don't my peppers look so optimistic, so ready to be stuffed? The recipe calls for you to steam the peppers first, but I like my veggies crispy and figured they'd cook enough in the oven. I was right.

Sprinkle the peppers with parmesan cheese (I'm trying cheddar or monterey jack next time) and bake for 20 minutes.
And voila! Stuffed peppers!
It's amazing how wonderful these looked to me, considering my first stuffed pepper memory. They're tricky little suckers to eat, though, and I ended up toppling mine and chopping it all up to eat.
EDW and I looooooooved these. I can't wait to make them again. Maybe I should call Sally and her family and apologize for hating their peppers 20 years ago. I'm not sure what was in them, but I bet I would love them now.

I hope you like it. I made it.

Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Mexican Stuffed Peppers." p.130.

No comments:

Post a Comment