Sunday, July 25, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part IX

EDW and I burned through the zucchini-lemon muffins this week (I, personally, was just trying to get through them. They really aren't special), so I was ready for muffin baking on Thursday night. I had more zucchini to use, and I found this recipe for apple-zucchini bread on tasty kitchen. I also had everything I needed for this bread already in my kitchen, so I went for it.

I used all whole wheat flour and applesauce instead of oil. I didn't want my muffins to be super sweet, so I reduced the sugar to 2/3 of a cup.
Skwishface is right-- this batter is alarmingly thick! It was almost like cookie batter, and I really was hoping the moisture in the zucchini and apple would help.
Oh, it did!
I got 12 muffins and 2 mini-loaf pans out of the batter. It took my muffins about 20 minutes to bake, and the loaves needed about 25 minutes.

Delicious! These taste hearty and wholesome and are just sweet enough, and I love the cinnamon and nutmeg flavors. With the reduced sugar, it seems more like a fruity bread than a sweet muffin, and I'm perfectly happy (EDW is too).
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment