Sunday, July 4, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part VI

Emmel kept me company while I made muffins this morning. She offered to help, obvi, but my kitchen is small and it's hard for me to share cooking responsibilities on my home turf. When we went to Blue Ridge last year to celebrate Nana Barron's 80th birthday, Emmel and I shared the kitchen like pros. It's just hard when one of you knows where everything is and the other doesn't.

So she sits at the island while I cook, and we gossip and giggle.

I made sweet potato banana muffins. I used a real sweet potato, instead of canned, and I boiled and mashed it. I also used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose, to bump up the wholesome factor. 1 cup of sugar seemed like a lot to me, so I pared it down to 3/4 cup. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla, and used applesauce instead of oil.

This batter is very orange (the photes don't really show the orange color, and then that orange fades as they bake) and lumpy, but very very delicious. I did do a good job sharing the batter, which is something I'm not always prone to doing. We licked the bowl together, and I relished the fact that I have such a good friend with whom I can share raw egg batter.

I really love that the recipe calls for walnuts to be sprinkled on the tops, instead of incorporating them in the batter. They toast while the muffins bake. I don't have to tell you I had enough batter to make a mini loaf, too.When I turned down the temperature after 15 minutes, I peaked in through the oven window. Hey blog readers? They looked like muffins.

Let me say it again. They looked like real muffins.
And they are wonderful. I love the sweetness of the banana and the crunch of the walnuts. I'm thinking you could even use less sugar next time-- maybe half a cup. They are super sweet and scrumptious.
The three of us had the loaf for second breakfast (first breakfast was greek yogurt and fresh peaches) and we all loved it. This is definitely my favorite muffin recipe so far.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hungry and I would love one of these muffins right now! I'm going to make them sometime soon. They were fabulous!

    ReplyDelete