Sunday, July 11, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part VII

I love peach season. I even love it a little more than Girl Scout Cookie season, which is saying a lot. I wanted to make peach muffins this week, but I couldn't find a recipe that inspired me, so I decided to make up another recipe.

I used rhubarb ginger peach muffins as my starting place, and here's the actual recipe I came up with:

Ginger Peach Muffins
Yield: 24 muffins

Ingredients

(generous) 2 cups chopped peaches
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecan chips

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray muffin pan generously with cooking spray.
Combine wet ingredients.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
Pour wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and gently blend. Don't overmix!
Fold in peaches.
Spoon batter into muffin pans. Sprinkle pecan chips on top of each muffin.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until done.
Cool in the pan 10 minutes, and then remove muffins to cooling rack.
Since I only have a 12er muffin pan, I had to make these in two batches. I didn't do a good job portioning my batter out, so my second batch had smaller muffins. The second batch also rose better-- is it maybe because the batter had time to rest?
Obviously, I overmixed, but these are delicious! They are super sweet and moist and I'm putting them as my number 2 in muffin hierarchy. Sweet potato banana still reigns supreme, but EDW and I both agree that these are near the top.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment