Sunday, July 18, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part VIII

Wanda gave me a zucchini from her garden, and I thought I'd use it for zucchini-lemon muffins. I added a few things to the recipe: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. I sprinkled the walnuts on top of the muffins before they went in.
This batter is very thick, but it really does just make 12 muffins.
Guess what? These looked like muffins! I suppose it could have to do with the tablespoon of baking powder in them. I had to double check my printed recipe online when I read that-- I don't think I've ever used a tablespoon to measure baking powder.
Maybe it's the baking powder, maybe it's the recipe, but whatever the reason, these muffins are a disappointment. They're chewy and not very flavorful, and the lemon really doesn't shine at all (I even used a whole lemon to give me probably a tablespoon of zest). They taste pretty good, but after sweet potato banana and ginger peach, they seem so ordinary.

That being said, EDW and I will eat these without problems. They aren't bad, they're just not special. They are, however, pretty.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment