Monday, July 5, 2010

my birthday cake

We had a birthday dinner for me last night, which was Emmel's last night here. We made one of my favorite meals: Sara Foster's turkey burgers and spicy cole slaw, Alice Waters' grapefruit and avocado salad, and fresh summer corn (from Mr. Emmel's CSA). I was all set to take a beautiful picture of Emmel and EDW sitting down, getting ready to enjoy their meal. I took a preliminary shot of the table (the salads were plated, which is why you don't see them on the tabe):
Then the digi camera did this:
It did that for the remainder of the evening, until it was time to take my birthday dessert out of the oven. I made chocolate cobbler, because the recipe sounded crazy and interesting. Emmel has photes of the process, when we sprinkled sugar and cocoa on top and then dumped hot tap water over everything. I may update this post once I have those.

When the dessert came out of the oven, I figured I'd try the camera one more time. And it worked!
The cobbler is basically a brownie with chocolate soup on top, and I like it that way. There's no risk of salmonella, since it doesn't have eggs (and I baked it for 45 minutes anyway), so you can enjoy the warm battery goodness without hesitation. It melted the Breyer's vanilla really quickly, but I was okay with that.
I liked this. A lot. I think it would be better with dark chocolate cocoa instead of regular unsweetened cocoa, and I might up the salt just a smidge next time.
I can't wait to eat more for dessert tonight. I'm going to microwave it and top it with Breyer's mint chocolate chip I think. It is, after all, my birthday (tomorrow).

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment