Monday, August 2, 2010

free (to me) food

My uncle Joe loves to fish, and he sent us back with some spoils of the sea this weekend. We shared half the tuna with my in-laws, and brought the rest home (along with wahoo. Woohoo!). I made a marinade for the tuna last night, and EDW grilled it up for us.

I used a Sara Foster recipe I've been eyeing for Grilled Ahi Tuna Nicoise Salad with Black Olive Vinaigrette,* but I only went as far as the marinade. I would looooove to try the whole salad soon, which includes cherry tomatoes and that sumptious sounding dressing. The marinade is just a mixture of soy sauce, olive oil, white wine vinegar, basil and spices, and let me tell you-- it smelled divine.
We let the fishies soak up the sauce for about an hour and then grilled them 2 minutes a side.

To go with the tuna, I made okra curry,** and if you think that sounds like an odd combination-- you're right. We have all this glorious produce from Edwin's parents to use up, and I needed to get a start on the okra.

For the okra curry, sautee onion and garlic, and then add spices. The recipe calls for a mixture of turmeric and chili powder, but I just used curry powder. It smelled great at this point, because curry always smells great to me.
Add sliced okra to the pan and let it heat up for a few minutes, then finish up by adding tomatoes.
This was a good side, but the curry flavoring didn't shine at all. My house, on the other hand, still has that lingering curry aroma almost 24 hours later. EDW and I can't recall if we've ever had okra that wasn't fried or added to something else, so we liked trying it on its own. I don't mind the slight slimy texture okra gets when you heat it, and since I only cooked it for a short amoun of time it still retained a decent amount of crunch.

The okra definitely didn't go with the tuna as far as complimentary flavors are concerned, but both dishes were tasty. And free! Thanks, famils, for sharing your food!
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Grilled Ahi Tuna Nicoise Salad with Black Olive Vinaigrette." p 92.
**Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Okra Curry." p.116.

1 comment:

  1. smgA- Bobbie grills her okra. It's fantastic! She seasons it with a dry bbq rub and then puts in on the grill till it turns brown. It's almost as good as Nana's fried okra!

    ReplyDelete