Friday, August 6, 2010

graham cracker toffee

Edwin and I are hosting a baby shower for our dear friends Carla and Claude this weekend. I'm making a ton of food, and I'll definitely share photes once I have them. We're serving several sweet treats, but I thought I'd go ahead and show you this one early.

It's called graham cracker toffee, and I got the recipe from my MIL this weekend. Her mother (Mama AKA Addie AKA EDW's maternal grandmother) gave her a copy of a cookbook a friend of hers made. It's basically a bound compilation of favorite family recipes, and I loved looking through it when we were in Brevard. Think of a junior league cookbook (best.recipes.ever.) that has family anecdotes included with most recipes.

To make the toffee:

Break graham crackers into their smallest sections. Place in a 9x13 in a single layer. [the recipe didn't say whether to grease the pan, but I figured a little more butter wouldn't hurt anything]

Sprinkle chopped pecans over graham crackers.

Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 2 sticks butter in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, and boil 3 minutes while stirring. Spread butter mixture over pecans and bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

I had a bit of a hard time justifying this recipe. I cook lots of things that require 2 sticks of butter, but melting it down and just pouring it on top of something seemed so wrong. My only consolation was that by the time I boiled the butter for 3 minutes it had turned light brown, and I could pretend it was toffee and not just butter and sugar. Please don't leave me comments saying that is exactly what toffee is. Don't ruin Heath bars for me, just don't.

After the candy has cooled, you're supposed to break it into pieces. I just took a knife and cut semi-regular squares. Then I removed the squares and put them in a large ziploc in the fridge until Saturday. I hope that storage method works.
EDW and I each had a taste. I shouldn't have tasted them at all, because now I can't stop thinking about them. They're chewy and sweet and sticky and the graham cracker really gives them a sentimental quality. I love these, and I'm going to do my best not to eat them all before Saturday afternoon.

I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment