Monday, August 30, 2010

Hello, Asheville! (and turkey meatballs)

Our first meal in Asheville. Okay, so really our 5th meal, but our first cooked-by-me-with-heat-on-the-stove meal in Asheville. The kitchen’s not completely unpacked yet, but we’re getting close. The rest of the condo? Oh, dear. I have high hopes we’ll be unpacked soon, but in the meantime, here’s a fancy recipe for you. It’s easy and mostly delicious.

I was inspired by a meal we had at our friends’ house last month. We actually told them we were leaving Cherokee County over this same meal: turkey meatballs and spaghetti. I asked Daphne if she had a recipe, and she told me her method. I tried to recreate.

(sidenote; next year’s resolution will likely involve me making up more recipes. I like to look ahead to things, so yeah. I’ve started thinking about my 2011 resolution in August).

I wrote the recipe down as I went, and here’s what I’ve got:

1 LB ground turkey
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
3 green onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 t Italian seasoning
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1 egg white

Combine in a large bowl. Form the mixture into meatballs. I got 19 irregularly shaped meatballs. Place meatballs on a plate and put in fridge for a few minutes to firm up. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick skillet over medium. Brown meatballs on all sides; remove to a clean plate.
Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the skillet and saute 1 medium zucchini (sliced). Return meatballs to pan and add 1 jar tomato sauce. Simmer until meatballs are cooked through.
I was concerned the turkey meatballs wouldn’t be cooked all the way through, so I let the whole thing simmer for over 30 minutes. 30 minutes was too long if you ask me, because the Newman’s Own marinara sauce (which I didn’t even know I had until I packed our groceries for the move) definitely thickened too much. I thinned it out with water at the end, because it really was getting gloppy.

The meatballs were flavorful, if a bit dry. Did I handle them too much when forming them into meatballs? Not enough egg? Too much cooking time? EDW liked them, and I was mostly ecstatic to have cooked a meal sans recipe in our new home.
I hope you like it. I made it

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum! Looks mighty fancy and adventuresome for the first meal in your new place.

    ReplyDelete