Sunday, August 1, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part X

We had a busy and productive weekend-- saw lots of famils, ate lots of good food, and found a place to live! I didn't get around to making muffins until late Sunday afternoon. I made whole-grain blackberry spice muffins, since NC blackberries were on sale at the Ingles last week.

I used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose, decreased the brown sugar to 3/4 a cup, eliminated the turbinado sugar completely, and wound up with about 2 cups fresh blackberries instead of 1 1/2 cups frozen. I also didn't use apple-pie spice-- instead I added 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg. I pulled out a lemon, planning on adding a bit of zest to the wet ingredients, but I completely forgot.
I had enough batter for 12 muffins and 2 mini-loaf pans. I didn't really have quite enough for two mini-loaves, but I definitely had too much for just 1 mini-loaf, and what's a girl to do?
I baked for 18 minutes and voila! Whole-grain blackberry spice muffins!
I really like these muffins. EDW and I both agree they're plenty sweet, and we love the blackberries. I still don't think these are better than sweet potato banana or ginger peach, but blackberry spice muffins are real winners. And, since the recipe actually calls for frozen blackberries, I can make these year-round.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment