Sunday, August 15, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part XIII

Banana Nut Muffins are a hard act to follow, and I didn't make things easier on this Sunday's muffin contestant. I made Wheat Bran Muffins* from my BHG cookbook, thinking I should go totally healthy after Sara Foster.

Things were going relatively smoothly. I had measured my dry ingredients (I added cinnamon to my mix) and made a well. I was in the process of combining my wet ingredients (I added vanilla extract), and I was in the middle of measuring my applesauce. I had to open a new plastic jar (I use Wal-Mart's generic unsweetened applesauce), and I grabbed it from the counter. Somehow I lost my grip. The applesauce jar went flying out of my hand and hit the side of my fridge. Hard. Applesauce went flying. It was on the dishwasher, the fridge, the floor, and my feet.

I cursed. Repeatedly. It was my signature single profanity to the nth power. I couldn't stop yelling. EDW swiftly jumped in and started cleaning up my mess. I stopped cussing. I wailed, "What should I do?" as I stood paralyzed with applesauce on my flip flops, and the only thing that seemed logical at the moment was to take a picture.
That's just part of the mess. I helped clean the rest, but if I'm being totally honest, Edwin cleaned most of it. As I continued with the mixing, I cataloged my many faults. EDW just ate his breakfast and interjected when I got too down on myself.

I took some deep breaths. I spooned the batter into the muffin cups. I cleaned the kitchen (not the floor, which EDW had already covered, but the bowls and spoons) while they baked.
And now, 45 minutes later, all I can say is I hate moving. It stresses me out. It makes me irritable. I get mean, and sloppy, and clumsy. This is the last muffin chronicle before we move to Asheville. I'm thrilled to be moving, I really am-- I just hate this process of packing all our stuff.

I'm also maybe a little cranky because I'm listening to Eat Pray Love. I wish Elizabeth Gilbert would quit whining and talk more about gelato. Who cares about what word she is and what word Rome is? I want to hear more about the pizza and the pastries and the slender stalks of asparagus.

Anyway, the muffins turned out well. We both like the taste of wheat bran, and I really like raisins in a muffin. We drizzled honey over our taste tests, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. EDW says they're pretty solid, which means he likes them but not as much as the banana nut muffins.
A big internet shoutout goes to Edwin, for putting up with my kitchen tantrums and not making me feel like a crazy person. Thanks for being the co-host of my life and the milk-flusher of my nostrils.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Meredith Corporation. Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. 11th ed. "Wheat Bran Muffins." p. 233.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear your stressed, but your muffins don't look any worse for the wear. In fact they look great. I think the only way they might look better is if they had some chocolate in them!!! Can't wait to see a chocolate recipe... Is that enough of a hint?! :)

    ReplyDelete