Sunday, August 8, 2010

shower food

The shower was a success! Here's what we ate:

Pulled Pork Sliders
Potato Salad
Veggies with hummus and sesame garlic dip
Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
Graham Cracker Toffee
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
Cake
Raspberry Lemonade Punch

I made crockpot barbeque and Sister Schubert's parker house rolls and whole wheat dinner rolls. Honestly, why would anyone ever make their own yeast rolls when SS does it so well? There was Maurice's sauce on the side.I didn't make the potato salad (or take a phote of it, apparently). Carla's favorite potato salad is from Mercier's, so we just got some from there. I don't like it-- too mayonnaisey for me. EDW says it's scrumptious, and he doesn't think it is heavy on the mayo at all.

We bought the hummus, too, and used a packaged dip mix for the sesame garlic dip.The fruit salsa was a hit. I was a little skeptical at first-- fruit, red pepper, green onions and jalapeƱo? But it was seriously delicious. I want to eat it all.the.time. I didn't make the cinnamon sugar tortilla chips that were part of the recipe. Instead I ripped open a couple bags of Stacy's pitas and said holla.
You already met the graham cracker toffee. It's amazing and refrigerating it is definitely the way to go. I sampled a chilled piece on Friday and decided we didn't have enough, so I made another half batch. I'm so glad I did. They went like hotcakes! I think the next time I make it I'm going to add chocolate chips to the pecans and see how that goes.

For the chocolate chip peanut butter pretzel bars, I made this recipe for chocolate chip cookie pretzel bars and instead of 12 ounces chocolate chips, I used 6 ounces each of chocolate and peanut butter chips. EDW loved these, and I absolutely did too.
I didn't make the cake. Someone else did, and she did a fabulous job. Claude's brother and sister-in-law weren't able to be at the shower, but they wanted to contribute, so Sharon and I collaborated on a cake order. This cake was fantastic.
Carla's been loving lemonade during her pregnancy, so I made raspberry lemonade punch. It was tart and refreshing!
Here are your happy hosts in front of the food.
And here we are with the parents-to-be!
It was such a fun afternoon, and we're so glad we could do this for Carla and Claude before we pack up the house (moving in 3 weeks!).

I hope you like it. We made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment