Monday, August 23, 2010

vegetable bolognese. oh yes.

EDW and I are officially moving this Saturday, but we've started the process already. He'll be boxing up the kitchen today while I'm at work, so I doubt there will be another post until we're set up in Asheville. This week, we'll be going to our favorite restaurants in Murphy and eating a lot of this.

I made vegetable bolognese last week, and I'm really wishing I'd doubled the recipe. Bolognese is one of my favorite tomato sauces, and I was intrigued by this meat free version. It was amazing, and we got 6 servings out of it

I pulsed my green pepper (didn't have a red one in the fridge), onion, garlic and carrots in the food processor until everything seemed to be the texture of ground beef. Then I started sauteeing, and my kitchen started smelling incredible.
With each addition (tomato paste, then mushrooms), the vegetable mixture took on more and more of a meaty texture, and by the time I was simmering the sauce of wine and crushed tomatoes, I'd vowed to myself never to make meat bolognese again.
This sauce is perfect, and I want to eat it for breakfast. Make it exactly as instructed and your heart will sing. Edwin and I really just couldn't believe how good it was.
I hope you like it. I made it.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I thought that this was going to be about veggie bologna. This is infinitely better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, can I request this when we come to visit. It looks so good, and healthy!

    ReplyDelete