Tuesday, August 3, 2010

vegetable delight

We're still working through our summer produce here in the Murph, and I'm loving it. For dinner Monday night I made a vegetable feast (thanks, Simply in Season for the inspiration, preesh). I made [oven] fried okra,* squash & basil salad,** and southwestern corn chowder.***

For the okra, I followed the oven-frying option in the recipe. I dredged my okra in milk and then rolled it around in a mixture of corn meal and Lawry's. Then I baked it on my greased and unattractive baking sheet for about 35 minutes, turning often. I was unimpressed with the okra. It just didn't have much flavor to it, and the little green bits were a bit chewy for my taste. I think in the future, I'll either have real fried okra or do a sautee like last night (or try it grilled like Emmel's mom makes it). Edwin and I agreed that the okra was the least delicious of the three dishes I made.
The squash and basil salad appealed to me because of the lunch we had on Saturday. Our new condo is around the corner from an Earthfare, and while it's no Whole Foods, it's still much more than I'm used to here in Cherokee County. We feasted upon the salad/hot bar, and there was a marinated squash salad. It was delicious, and I decided to try this squash and basil salad in an effort to recreate it. I mixed olive oil, white wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic, and poured that over squash, zucchini, cucumber and basil. I let it marinate for about an hour, and then served it on a bed of spinach. It was simple and delightful. I'll make this again and again, especially since I don't have to heat anything up.
I also made southwestern corn chowder, which was a snap to throw together. After cooking the onion and adding corn and broth, you're supposed to take out part of the solids and liquids and blend them. I just used my immersion blender and went to town until I liked the texture. I added black beans for protein:
and some of this!
Chipotle pepper flakes! EDW and I found them at Marshall's last weekend, and I loved the flavor they added to the chowder.
All in all, it was a great summer meal.

I hope you like it. I made it.

Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. *"Fried Okra." p.117; **"Squash and Basil Salad." p. 102; ***"Southwestern Corn Chowder." p. 95.

No comments:

Post a Comment