Monday, September 6, 2010

apples and brunch!

On Saturday, EDW and I went to Hendersonville to go to the NC Apple Festival with some of his GC friends (hi, Mandlestamms!). I asked a lot of apple questions at a lot of different booths until I found what I'd been looking for. We walked away with a 1/2 bushel of mixed apples, including Mutsu (my fave) and Jonagolds (EDW's new fave).
We're going to eat lots, dry some (thanks, in-laws, for the food dehydrator!), and cook with the rest. I made a breakfast apple granola crisp for brunch on Sunday, in honor of fellow food blogger and librarian Katrina's visit. Katrina lives in Raleigh, which is sad for me and EDW because she and her husband are way fun, but her dad lives in Asheville, which means we'll be seeing more of her. We had her over for brunch on Sunday morning.

The apple crisp was delicious. I love to eat dessert for breakfast (hello birthday ice cream and leftover holiday pies), so I was excited to try this out. It is definitely not a dessert-- it's really not super sweet, and the granola topping feels very breakfasty. That being said, it does seem like a treat. With creamy greek yogurt, sweet cooked apples and crunchy granola, how could you go wrong?
We had the crisp along with bacon, scrambled eggs, melon and mimosas. Thanks, Katrina, for coming to eat (and for bringing the booze and melon)!
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment