Monday, September 13, 2010

chipotles and squash-- what could go wrong?

I made chipotle-squash soup* last night. I used dried rosemary instead of fresh, and I skipped the pumpkin seeds altogether.

I liked roasting my butternut squash on a baking sheet-- I'd never tried this method. Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and put it on a baking sheet with sides. Add one cup water and 1 tablespoon olive oil and roast at 400 for 45 minutes. After the squash has cooled, scrape the flesh out and discard the skin.
This is not a quick soup, as you have to roast the squash and slowly saute the onions, red pepper, carrots and garlic, but what it lacks in speed it makes up for in flavor.
I loved this soup. I was lazy and didn't seed my chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, so it had a considerable kick. The kick was too much for EDW, even after we added a dollop of sour cream, so he passed on it. I froze half the batch and will be in charge of finishing the rest this week, which I'll happily do. The rosemary and squash really complement each other, and I love the chipotle flavors.
I'll make this again-- and I'll seed my peppers so Edwin can eat it too. That Sara Foster never fails to impress me.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Foster, Sara.
Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Chipotle-Squash Soup with Fresh Rosemary and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds." p 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment