Thursday, September 30, 2010

cream of soups

I've mentioned before that I hate the word casserole-- I hate cream of soups, too. Cream of chicken, cream of mushroom...blech. If a recipe calls for a can of cream of, I won't make it.

And yet, I made Better Homes and Garden's Cream of Pumpkin Soup* for dinner on Tuesday. It's actually a recipe that has lots of variations, and the official name is Cream of Vegetable Soup. It's quick and easy: make a roux of flower and butter, add milk, then pureed vegetables and chicken broth and seasonings. I didn't take any during photes, because you have to stir constantly to avoid lumps.
We loved this soup. It was warm and satisfying and not heavy at all, and I renamed it pumpkin bisque to make myself feel better. Served with a nice big salad of roasted vegetables, this was a perfect Tuesday night dinner.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Better Homes and Gardens. New Cook Book. 11th ed. Cream of Vegetable Soup. p. 1020.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your detestation of "cream of," you would have starved during the '60s.

    ReplyDelete