Monday, September 27, 2010

green chili. yes green.

The weather is finally catching up to my cooking, and I'm thrilled. I made Sara Foster's Green Chili* for dinner Friday night. It was 85 in Asheville that day, but I perservered with my comforting warm soupy meal anyway.

I have been eyeing this recipe since my cousins gave us Fresh Every Day as a wedding gift, because instead of tomatoes it has tomatillos. I'm a big big fan of salsa verde and all things tomatillo, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to find canned tomatillos. You can use fresh, but then you have to roast them and it seemed like it'd be expensive to buy all those fresh tomatillos. Imagine my delight when I found a 28 ounce can of whole tomatillos in the Hispanic section at Ingles! And for like $3!
Mashing the tomatillos was fun, and I liked that the recipe uses white beans-- garbanzo and navy-- instead of the traditional red or black beans of tomato chili. There's green pepper, onion, green chilis, jalepeƱos and celery, too.
The recipe calls for 4 cups shredded white meat (turkey, chicken, pork) and I used some chicken breasts I had in the fridge. I boiled 2 large ones earlier in the day, thinking that it'd be enough meat, but when I actually pulled out the measuring cup I realized I only had about 3 cups. I surged ahead with the recipe, but I think it really does need 4 cups of meat (or more beans). EDW's main critique was that he wished there had been more chicken, and I agree.
I think this chili may smell better than it tastes. It tastes good, and I'm perfectly satisfied, but it smelled absolutely incredible. The smokey undertones of the peppers and tomatillos just didn't come through as much as I hoped they would, even though we could definitely smell them. I might make this again, but as of now my favorite chili is still Sara Foster's Beef and Bean.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Green Chili." p 55.

1 comment:

  1. I ripped off Bobby Flay's version. Also really good http://singleguycooking.com/2010/01/15/green-pork-chili/

    ReplyDelete