Saturday, September 11, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part XIV

Carla and Claude came to Asheville last night for a quick visit, and I made oat bran muffins in their honor (plus I still have a glorious amount of apples in the fridge, even with the drying and apple crisping and general eating).

This is sort of a labor intensive muffin recipe, especially if you're like me and don't buy pre-shredded carrots. Have you ever shredded 2 cups worth of baby carrots? I love that the muffins have so many wholesome ingredients (whole wheat flour, flax seed, oat bran, apples, raisins, carrots) so the effort was well worth it.
The wet mixture was really interesting. I combined the egg whites, milk, vanilla, oil and a minneola-- it's the best I could do with the thin-skinned orange order-- in my food processor, and you won't believe how good the frothy mixture smelled. I really wanted to drink it with a straw.
The batter was super thick and tasty, and I got 24 muffins out of it.
EDW sampled his muffin before I had time to take a phote, but there were 24.
I love these muffins. They're reminiscent of health muffins, but sweeter, moister, and all around better. I will make them again, possibly using dried figs for the raisins. I froze half the muffins, and I plan on defrosting them individually and reheating in the microwave whenever I need a muffin fix. Anybody in blog land know the best way to do this? It seems like everyone freezes and then individually thaws and reheats-- but how? Or can I pop a frozen muffin right into the microwave to warm? Please advise.I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment