Tuesday, September 14, 2010

supposed to be calzones


In honor of Edwin's first day at his new job, I told him I'd make whatever he wanted for dinner last night. He requested calzones, and I decided to use the whole wheat pizza dough recipe I've made several times. I have always done it in the food processor, but I didn't feel like dirtying up the Cuisinart. Surely, I thought, I could just hand mix and hand knead to achieve the same results.

I thought wrong.The dough didn't rise at all. It was shaggier than usual, and I was concerned by its definite unrisen state after I let it rest. Determined to perservere, I tried to divide the dough in two to shape my calzones. The dough was so thin, though, that I ended up mushing it all back together and working really hard to get it to even out for a pizza.
I used the filling I'd already prepared: spinach, hot peppers, red onion, garlic, kalamata olives, tomatoes, feta and mozzarella and hoped it would work out.
This dough, while usually pretty thick and chewy, came out like a flatbread. It tasted good, but it was super thin. I personally prefer thin crust pizza, but EDW loves a thick crust and I felt bad that his congrats-on-your-first-day meal went the way it did. Edwin commented that the thin crust made it seem healthier, but I reminded him that I'd made this exact crust last week for a barbeque chicken pizza, and he couldn't believe it.

I guess I'll be using the food processor for this recipe from now on.
The pizza was delicious, even if it was supposed to be calzones. (and even if I did burn it, just a little)
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment