Tuesday, September 7, 2010

tilapia at home

I have this thing about tilapia-- I don't order it at restaurants. It's just not an expensive fish and it is always overpriced at restaurants. I do like it, though, and I wanted to make some this weekend.

(Sidenote: EDW and I are completely unpacked. We finished last Wednesday, and are open and ready for visitors.)

I decided to make cornmeal-crusted tilapia with mango, corn, and cucumber salsa. I used frozen tilapia fillets and thawed them earlier in the day, and then the meal was a snap to throw together. The fish didn't take long to prepare, and there is something really satisfying in dredging to me. So I dredged and I baked, and I made the salsa while I waited.
I liked the salsa a lot, but I think I was a little heavy-handed when I was microplane grating my ginger. It just seemed really gingery to me, and the ginger sortof overpowered the rest of the flavors. I am interested to try the salsa recipe with other dishes, because it seems pretty versatile. I especially love the different textures--the combination of the soft juicy mango and the crunchy sweet corn really works.
All in all, this was a highly satisfying and fancy tasting meal. EDW and I both had seconds.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment